Beltane is an ancient Celtic fire festival to celebrate the turning of the Wheel and start of the summer season in the Northern Hemisphere. By the beginning of May, life is bursting forth in all of its glory, with fertility and passion felt all around. It is a time to honor all of nature and the pleasures it offers us.
Beltane falls at the opposite point of Samhain on the Wheel of the Year, effectively dividing the year into the Light Half and the Dark Half, and is also a time of liminal space when the veil between worlds is thin. Ancient celebrations included lighting the “Bel-fire” on hilltops to celebrate the return of fertility and life to the world. If you have the space and means I highly recommend spending time around a bonfire this night, reflecting on the season and connecting with the element of fire.
There are many ways to celebrate Beltane and connect with the energy of the season. Find what resonates with you and use it as a way to honor this special time of year. Below is a list of five magical traditions that resonate with the energy of Beltane:
- Beltane is a time of renewal, growth, and self-discovery, making it a perfect time to focus on self-love and self-care. Here’s a self-love ritual you can perform on Beltane:
- First, find a quiet and peaceful space where you won’t be disturbed. Light some candles and burn some incense to create a relaxing and inviting atmosphere.
- Sit or lie down comfortably, and take a few deep breaths to calm your mind and body. Then, focus your attention on your heart chakra, located in the center of your chest. Visualize a bright, warm light emanating from your heart, filling your entire body with love and positivity.
- Next, repeat the following affirmations to yourself, either out loud or in your mind:
- “I love and accept myself just as I am.”
- “I am worthy of love and respect.”
- “I am deserving of happiness and joy.”
- “I am confident and capable.”
- Repeat these affirmations several times, allowing the positive energy to flow through your body. Now, take some time to pamper yourself. Take a relaxing bath with some essential oils or Epsom salts, give yourself a gentle massage, or practice some yoga or stretching to release tension and promote relaxation.
- Glamour magic is a type of magic that uses beauty and aesthetics to influence the energy around us. For Beltane, you can create a glamour spell to attract love and passion into your life. This can be done using your favorite method (bell jars, candle magic, knots/cords, visualization, etc.) with intentions such as “I attract love and passion into my life” or “I open myself up to new romantic opportunities.” A simple incantation to complete the spell is: On this Beltane night so fair, I weave a spell of love and care. With beauty, grace, and passion bright, I draw new love into my sight. As I will, so mote it be.
- The traditional dance of the May Pole is an ancient form of weaving magic that represents the interconnectedness of all things and the balance between male and female energies. The dance involves people dancing around a tall pole, usually decorated with ribbons, flowers, and other spring symbols. As the dancers weave in and out of each other, the ribbons become intertwined, creating a beautiful, colorful pattern. This interweaving of ribbons represents the weaving of magic, as the dancers infuse the ribbons with their intentions and desires. Perform your own ribbon magic by tying wishes or intentions to a tree, or create a ribbon wand for spells and rituals. Your ribbon colors can correspond with different intentions or energies; green for growth and abundance, pink for love and romance, or yellow for happiness and joy.
- May is all about the garden and magical herbs. If you are feeling particularly crafty with your magic, try creating a magical herbal wreath to enhance your intentions. Combine three or four corresponding herbs to craft a healing wreath or one for protection, prosperity, or (especially appropriate at this time of year) to invite love into your home.
- Beltane is located 180˚around the Wheel from Samhain and is another point where the veil between worlds is thin. Divination at this time yields clearer answers so it’s the perfect time to scry in a mirror or crystal ball, gaze into the fire or work with your Tarot deck. Follow along in the spirit of the season and ask for insight into your relationships. Some questions to consider include: What is out of balance in my current relationship? Are there any obstacles that we are facing? What do I need from this relationship? How am I contributing positively to this relationship?
Remember the real magic lies within you. It doesn’t take fancy tools or special words to tap into your power. Recognize your connection to the energy of the Earth, align yourself with the natural rhythms of the Wheel of the Year and be present in the moment. YOU ARE MAGICAL.
Free Moon Journal
When you download the free moon journal you will also gain access to the newsletter full of seasonal insights, self-care motivation and monthly free downloads to help you on your magical journey.
Make a Connection!
I value how important your time is and understand how you don't want inbox overload. There is nothing worse than signing up for an opt-in then getting flooded with sales pitches! Rest assured when you see Wayward Inspiration pop up in your inbox, it's because I'm sharing something I believe you will find truly valuable.
Our community is about making connections and offering support along the way. Welcome!